Thursday, August 19, 2010

BI P.3: STUDY & RESEARCH ON POEM

1: POEM “IF YOU FORGET ME” BY PABLO NERUDA

I want you to know
one thing.

You know how this is:
if I look
at the crystal moon, at the red branch
of the slow autumn at my window,
if I touch
near the fire
the impalpable ash
or the wrinkled body of the log,
everything carries me to you,
as if everything that exists,
aromas, light, metals,
were little boats
that sail
toward those isles of yours that wait for me.

Well, now,
if little by little you stop loving me
I shall stop loving you little by little.

If suddenly
you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you.


If you think it long and mad,
the wind of banners
that passes through my life,
and you decide
to leave me at the shore
of the heart where I have roots,
remember
that on that day,
at that hour,
I shall lift my arms
and my roots will set off
to seek another land.

But
if each day,
each hour,
you feel that you are destined for me
with implacable sweetness,
if each day a flower
climbs up to your lips to seek me,
ah my love, ah my own,
in me all that fire is repeated,
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten,
my love feeds on your love, beloved,
and as long as you live it will be in your arms
without leaving mine

2 : VALUES FROM THE POEM

This poem shows that there is a very thin line between love and hate. It also illustrates the denial someone might go through after finding out the person they love doesn't love them the way they want them to.

We also should believe that God's love and our love of God go hand in hand in this beautiful poem as one love.Besides, we should believe that love is a word that is thrown around very often in this day and age. The word love is very special it should be used with extreme caution.

This poem also shows us that everybody can find a part of him in this poem,because love is everybody's common value.It is of true love, the kind that one would make sacrifices for.

The words in this poem are selfless and without blame. If one should stop loving you, letting them go and easing their conscious by saying you will move on is the most honorable and unconditional kind of love there is. This poem is a touching tribute to sacrifice.

This is love that is hurting, that has been hurt in the past, and yet is open to being hurt again. There is surrender (and renunciation), but how different from, for instance, Juliet's youthful optimism in surrender.

3 : PERSONAL RESPONSE ABOUT THE POEM

The poem, I think, might seem to portray love as conditional. But I believe it is more complex than that. 'My love feeds on your love'. I think the focus here is on the nature of love. That it can only be pure if it is mutual.

Love has conditional and unconditional. First, Love has to be accepted and believed. Second, A person who truly loves never stops loving. The notion of destiny is tied in here with the first notion. And one can relate to it in one way or another.

What is obvious here, in the writing, is the time frames used. On the negative prose of the uplifting of roots, we see 'on that day, and on that hour', whereas on the non-futuristic positive prose we have 'if each day, and each hour'.

The positive prose plays on the notion of grace for the moment. The former is a more fatal blow, my guesses that that is what kind of a fate the beloved believes in. (like a religion) In other words, these two proses talk about the components of love respectively.

For love to be perfect, it has to know no rejection or disrespect. This is what I term 'Disciplinary love'. The other side of the love component is 'the Grace of love', whereby one deliberately forgets and forgives, and at that moment love is there, because true love has known no rejection.

4 : CRITIQUE ISSUES BY WRITER

Every word in this poem is so carefully selected that the poem has become a magic spell in the sense that no one can resist this tremendous beauty of expression.
The main theme of the poem is a peculiar psyche of every one who loves, for every emotion is enhanced by the response of the beloved. Everyone knows this but to express the feelings so boldly is an art and Pablo is the master of this art

In his poem “If you forget me” from Pablo Neruda, he is using many metaphors for describing his feelings.He is talking about his girlfiend like “those isles (what) are waiting for me”. He hopes that his girlfriend waits for him. That she will still love him, forever.

His feelings are described as “little boats” which are floating to the isles. Besides, he himself is described as a tree. In the heart are his roots, or the roots are leading to his heart. All the love will go there and he is living from it and because of it. With out this love he wouldn’t be himself.

The last metaphor is that he is describing other girls, potential girlfriends, as another land. He will seek there if his present girlfriend will forget him.

This poem is also about lovers who are really not committed to each other. If you are really committed you will not forget each other when tough times comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment